The building is an integral part of the complex of the Certosa Reale in Collegno . It's been built in the historic period in which it was decided to transform the site in the Royal Mental Hospital, in the years immediately after 1855, the date of the abrogation of the religious corporations . The historical complex of the Certosa Reale was born, in fact, in the first half of the seventeenth century as a monastic complex, characterized by a system of court closed to the outside according to a design by architect Maurizio Valperga in 1634. After several transformations the Certosa Reale between 1700 and 1710 underwent further expansion with the construction of the cloister and the shift of the main composition. With the intervention of Filippo Juvarra (1725-36) the complex opened to the village of Collegno trying to create a dignified transition element: the portal. Today it houses a substantial part of the monastic structure even if they are completely destroyed the dwellings of the monks placed on the Great Cloister. In 1851 the settlement was then started on the whole of the Certosa Reale of the Royal Asylum with the abandonment by the monks and the realization of substantial transformation and extension work designed to last for almost two centuries, until 1975. The building of the Dry Steam designed and built from 1870 to 1875 as a service structure for the Royal Lunatic Asylum was designed by Ing. Luigi Fenoglio. The project from the beginning involves the construction of a single building of elongated rectangular and one floor above the ground. The sleeve length is 100 meters and a width of 12 meters. The central part houses a basement area where in the first phase were placed boilers which were then relocated later in a low building backs onto the west facade . A further change took place in the 40s with the demolition of the coverage area of the first bays south to the inclusion of a floor and then a raised part ( second floor). Despite the lack of care , the building has been able to preserve until 2004 , when he started the renovation . In particular, it is kept legible the composition of facades scanned by the numerous vertical windows with their brick arches and the large central chimney that identifies it. The restoration project of the Dry Steam involves the restoration of the decorative nineteenth-century factory ammattonata and chimney, built on the design of Eng. Luigi Fenoglio like laundry of the Royal Asylum, that the restoration of the interior space, characterized by the presence of the large nave. The environments were then equipped with the facilities and equipment which allow their use, with choices guided by the concept of sobriety, minimizing the presence of the technological components required by the contemporary. During the implementation of this phase of intervention, has resulted the decision to allocate the spaces of the Steam Laundry in the Centro Coreutico residence that houses in the Ballet Theatre of Turin. It was therefore prepared the exhibition design, which enables the use of the renovated spaces for artistic and cultural activities, education, entertainment and meetings in general. It is therefore the conclusion of a path, including in the broader process of restoration and enhancement of Cultural Heritage Complex of the Certosa Reale in Collegno, who made use of the financial assistance and collaboration of the Piedmont Region. From 2015 "Lavanderia a Vapore" is managed by Piemonte dal Vivo Foundation.